In this article:
- Adjusting Open Hours for your Locations
- Finding Future Appointments
- Resolving Appointments Outside of New Branch Hours
In scenarios where you want to temporarily reduce your branch hours, you will need to update your business hours. This also updates the open times displayed on the client view. Next, you will need to review your staff adjustments and working hours to ensure staff aren’t overriding branch hours availability. Lastly, you will need to find pre-booked appointments in the future that fall outside of the new branch open hours and resolve those by rescheduling, cancelling, or changing to a phone appointment.
Adjusting Open Hours for your Locations
The first step is to restrict the online appointment booking open hours for your branches by modifying the Business Hours for each location. Next, confirm that any existing Working Hours for your staff does not extend past the availability of the branch.
If specific branch locations will no longer be available for online booking, the business hours can be removed, as well as any staff working hours for that location. You may also consider updating the staff’s visibility to ‘private’ depending on requirements. Help with visibility can be found here.
For more details on how to adjust hours, check out our helpful articles below:
- Hours Management Overview
- How to Manage Location's Business Hours
- How to Manage Staff's Working Hours
Finding Future Appointments
Once your branch location’s operating hours have been updated, you may need to find future appointments that are outside of those hours to adjust, reschedule, or cancel. To locate those appointments your users can generate a custom report or leverage the schedule page.
Generating A Custom Report for All Future Appointments
To generate a custom report for future appointments navigate to the ‘Reports’ tab of the platform and select ‘Build a Custom Report’. To ensure you’ve captured all necessary information select the applicable options below:
- Date Range: Select the first day of the new hours and the day of the farthest appointment. To get an indication of how far out those appointments could be:
- Your booking policies may indicate how many weeks in advance appointments can be booked
- 92% of all appointments booked through Coconut are scheduled less than 3 weeks in advance
- Using the custom date filter in the Insights tab can show how far out appointments have been booked
- Date type: Ensure you’ve selected ‘Appointment date’ as the Based On option
- Booked By: Selecting ‘ALL’ will provide you with all appointments
- Locations: Select all applicable locations or generate one report per location
- Staff: Select ‘all active’ staff from the drop down menu
- Status: Most future appointments will have ‘Confirmed’ as their status, but we recommend selecting all statuses except ‘Cancelled’
- Service: Select ‘all active’ services from the drop down menu
- Fields: The below column headers are recommended, add as many extra as needed.
- Start and/or Start UTC
- End and/or End UTC
- Service Name
- Staff Name
- Client Name, Email, Phone Numbers
Once the report has been generated, ‘Export All’ results and import into Excel or a Sheets program. From there you can sort or filter your appointments by date and time to gather information for next steps on making adjustments to those appointments.
Note: The Start/Start UTC timestamps contain both date and time, in order to sort by the time of day the appointment starts you will need to split those into two fields. You can do this by adjusting the number format of the column to be ‘time’ or you can use formulas.
Excel & Sheets- Formula for extracting the time from the datetime value: =B2 - INT(B2).
Leveraging the Schedule
Managers, staff, and administrators can find appointments outside of the new operating hours by navigating through their weekly schedules and looking for appointments that occur alongside the grey unavailable blocks.
Resolving Appointments Outside of New Branch Hours
From the previous step, you have a list of pre-booked appointments in the future that need to be resolved.
Finding the Appointment in the Schedule
- In the spreadsheet, find the location, date, and time of the appointment.
- In Coconut, open the Schedule page. Select the week view.
- Select the location and the assigned staff in the left lists.
- Select the specific date in the date dropdown.
- Find the appointment time and click on the Appointment. Confirm it is the correct client.
Resolution Workflow 1 - Call the client to reschedule
- In the event modal, the contact details of the client are displayed at the bottom. Phone the client and coordinate for a new date and time.
- A simple way to reschedule an appointment is to close the event modal and to drag the event on the Schedule to the new date and time.
Resolution Workflow 2 - Change meeting method to phone or video
In certain scenarios, the staff can still take the appointment over the phone instead of in branch. When this is applicable, you can change the meeting method:
- In the event modal, change the meeting method to Phone Call.
- Add a quick note in the Email Notes field. For example, “We are reducing our branch hours temporarily, so instead of coming to the branch, we will call you at the appointment time”.
- Check the Client notification checkbox at the bottom of the window.
- Click Save.
Option 3 - Cancel appointment with note
If no other times are available, or the client prefers to not have this appointment, you can quickly cancel the appointment.
- Add a quick note in the Email Notes field. For example, “We are reducing our branch hours temporarily, so this appointment has been cancelled. Please phone the contact centre at 1-888-555-5555 to find a new time”.
- Click on Cancel button to the right of the status dropdown. Confirm the cancellation.